Monday, September 13, 2010

Good Grief

I read a description of grief as described by a mother of a premie who had apparently had a prolonged hospital course as a result.  His mother described her grief in way I could relate to.  I hadn't relaized much of what I have been feeling was grief. She experiences grief over the loss of the child she expected.  I experienced the loss of my marriage and so much more. She says in her description....

I learned about grief during this time. I learned that no matter the true temperature, grief made the air crisp and cold; that it caused me to drive slowly, carefully; there was very little I could eat. I learned that I didn't notice things until they flew out at me and that most stories and movies and books and news articles were unreadable, being accounts not of the story itself, but of me. Of what I had lost and would never have again, of what I once allowed myself to want, the things I used to love. Of small consolations no longer available. I learned that my heart could stop and start a dozen times a day and that my throat felt so sore and tight I often had to swallow air simply in order to breathe. The world receded; everything took place in slow motion and was viewed as if down the wrong end of a very long telescope. So much was unfamiliar that if I was asked my name, I had to think for long moments. "Grief is a visceral process of disengagement," a friend said....

NOTE:  I forgot to note the source when I saved this post.  I apoligize and if you were the author of this please let me know!

No comments: